Saturday, December 03, 2005

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I have actually left the house 3 times in the last 2 days. This is quite a feat if you read my last entry. My face nearly froze off today though, man it's cold out there! One thing I really wish we had in this house is a fireplace. There's nothing like sitting with a cup of hot chocolate by a blazing fire. I'll just pretend I'm sitting by the fire as I'm sitting on my toilet because when you open our laundry shoot door you actually get a heat wave coming up from there. Our boiler is in the basement and that means that the basement is the warmest place in the house. Too bad it's not so inviting to hang out down there. I call it the dungeon.

If you've ever been to our house you would know what I'm talking about when I say dungeon. Our hope is to do some reno's down there so we can set up a prayer room that is not in our regular living space. That would open it up for so much more than just a prayer meeting once or twice a week. We see this house as a prayer house, a place to cultivate a passion for prayer and raise up the next generation in the things of God. Kids are so open and hungry for the kingdom of God. They are a bit messy I have to admit, it usually looks completely different than I think it will, but God is doing some really cool things in their hearts. They may be immature, but their spirit knows no age boundaries.

And kids say the most hilarious things! One night we were praying for each one, we had them all in a circle with one child at a time in the middle, and they all had a chance to anoint with oil and pray what was on their heart for that person. One child said to the one recieving in the middle, "I see you being a might warrior for God." The child turns to Devon and states very matter of factly, "mostly I eat chocolate," and then goes back into his recieving posture for the next prayer. We had a good laugh about that later.

Another night we were talking about taking off the "labels" that others have placed on us. Things like stupid, loser, etc, and then asking God for a new name. We got them to say what their "label" had been and then what God calls them. Kids were getting names like special and joyful, it was awesome. Then one boy says that he has never been called a nasty name, and in the spirit of participation, a young girl pipes up and says, "I'll call you one!" We stopped that before it got ugly, but once again had some good laughs afterwards.

Anyways, kids are great, I'm getting to love them more and more. Never thought in a million years I'd be involved in kids ministry, but see how vital it is as kids are mostly overlooked and sent to do crafts while the adults have their "real church". Children have the same Holy Spirit that we do, and quite frankly are generally more willing to do "the stuff". But before I go on a rant about it, I'm gonna go watch the classic "Stand By Me" that I borrowed from the Taber library.

Cheers all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home