Monday, April 20, 2009

Final Project for Essentials Green - Song

"May the Grace of Christ Our Saviour" - Lyrics: John Newton 1779, Music: Kristi Rundvall 2009


This is an old hymn that I took, and revamped it a bit. I didn’t change any of the words, just the melody. I was flipping through my old “Psalter Hymnal” from my childhood and came across an old hymn by John Newton. Old meaning 230 years old. It was written in 1779 and the lyrics struck me because it summed up my heart’s prayer for my worship community.


I’ve desired to have more community within our worship teams and this particular course really challenged me with exactly that. It’s not about having a powerful worship service every Sunday, although that would be great. It’s about the journey, and relationship with God and each other.


I also happen to love John Newton’s story about the grace of God. God’s grace is so amazing and beautiful and I wanted to bless my community by praying over them the grace, the unmerited favour of God. And like the last lines of the song says, that we would possess in sweet communion, joys which earth cannot afford. That the grace of God allows us to enter into joy which can only be given by a generous, gracious God. And his joy allows us to serve one another in love and grace.
So here it is. It’s simple and I just video taped it with my cheap little camera. Hope it blesses you, as I pray this song over you and your communities as well.

2 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Essentially Heather said...

I love this song! Your beautiful voice and new arrangement of an "ancient" song is so powerful. Can't wait to use it at our next women's worship gathering!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

Thank you Heather! That's encouraging, and spurs me on to create some more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home