Responsibility in Worship (Essentials Blue)

"For: The Institute Of Contemporary And Emerging Worship Studies, St. Stephen's University, Essentials Blue Online Worship Theology Course with Dan Wilt"
I just want to start by saying that I am really appreciating this course for all the deep truths that it presents. So much is witnessing with me and challenging the old, not so true theologies.
One of the theologies that was so prevalent when I first came into the 'charismatic church' scene was that corporate worship times were mainly an "adrenaline shot" as Eddie Gibbs put it so aptly. I heard a lot of comments about how Jesus was the best high. How getting drunk in the Holy Spirit was better than any drink that this world offered. As much as I agree with these statements, and enjoy being filled by Holy Spirit, that is not what worship is. Worship has nothing to do with us, but "True worship entails a dying to self." As Eddie Gibbs states in his article called 'Time in a Bottle'. Better yet, how Romans chapter 12 starts with,
"1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship."
"1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship."
That is why when we are depressed, or self-absorbed, we cannot enter into worship. Depression is a result of dethroning God, and in order to truely worship God, we must put him back on the throne. After all he is the King. I guess I bring up depression because I hear that word a lot these days. I believe it is one of the main tactics of the enemy to get our eyes on ourselves and off of God, in order to keep us from true worship. When we are able to place God in His place (on the throne) and consecrate our whole being, we are indeed dangerous to the kingdom of darkness.
As I plug away at this course, I am convicted at the responsiblity we have as community of worshippers, worship leaders and song writers. So many people today gather their theologies from the songs we sing rather than the word of God, or the preaching of the word. We definately 'play a vital role in the continuation of the faith of the church'. (quote: Berten Waggoner)
As much as that makes me cringe, it is a fact in today's church. Believers shy away from the study of the word, and I include myself in that statement. The 'charismatic church' definately has had a focus on the Spirit, whereas the 'traditional church' has had it's focus on the word. If we have one without the other, we are missing out, either on the life one brings, or the substance of the other. And in turn we misrepresent the Tri-une God. I suppose that is why we have so many denominations. But that is a whole other can of beans, not to be opened today.
Labels: Dan Wilt, emerging worship studies, essentials blue, online course


1 Comments:
It's so true. There needs to be equal focus in church services on worship and scripture. If we worship but don't study the scriptures then how are we learning about God and His Story? If we study the scriptures but don't really worship then something's wrong because our worship should be the outpouring of our response to God's word.
Not sure I completely agree about the depression thing. Depression can be self-inflicting (in which case it could easily be self-absorbed) but sometimes it can be out of our control (such as depression that results from hormone imbalances etc). You're right though - it is hard to worship when we're feeling depressed. However, I find worshipping God, even when I'm feeling down really helps to lift my spirit and bring me back to Him :-) God bless, Elouise.
www.elouisemullis.wordpress.com
Post a Comment
<< Home